Managing Grant Awards

To search by keywords, use the search window in the upper right hand corner of your screen. 

Who is my Research Administrator (RA)?

Can a UC Berkeley employee have more than one job at a time?

A UC Berkeley employee can have more than one job at a time. Employees with more than one job, such as many students, are required to be FLSA Compliant. Pay schedule and exempt or non-exempt FLSA Status need to be the same for all the jobs held by a given employee. Pay groups may differ so long as they align with the same pay schedules and FLSA statuses.                                                

Who can help me with my questions about effort reporting?

Effort reporting documents the actual amount of time, or “effort,” that certain grant funded employees perform. 

See the UC Berkeley Controller's Office webpages on Effort Reporting

Contact your Research Administrator with questions.              

What is the account number I should use to buy something?

Use these Berkeley Financial System account codes to indicate the category of your purchase. 

Also see our FAQs:


What is my chartstrting number(s)?

You can view your financials and chartstring numbers in PI Portfolio. In the Berkeley Financial System (BFS) you can view the Chart of Accounts. If you don’t know which chartstring to use for which purpose(s), contact your Research Administrator.

How much money do I have left in my budget?

ChaMPS Research Administrators (RAs) send monthly funding balance reports to the PIs they support. PIs can also view balances in PI Portfolio.

Will my award allow that?

See links to common sponsor policies below. 

How can I find out the status of my proposal or award?

To find out the status of a proposal, contact the sponsor's program officer.

For awards, check Phoebe, which provides UC Berkeley Principal Investigators and Co-PIs as well as research administration staff with a searchable interface to records of each individual proposal and award, including the status of each proposal.                              

Where can I find UC Berkeley data, such as last month's on-contract spending or graduation rates ?

Cal Answers is an analytical tool allowing UC Berkeley community members to view centralized, integrated information from various campus systems. The tool makes data accessible to the campus community to locate reliable, consistent answers to critical campus questions.                                                          

How do I get access to campus electronic systems?

The System Access Request Application (SARA)  allows faculty and staff to request access for yourself or your employee (s) for campus enterprise systems, for example:

How do I set up a fabrication on an award?

See the fabricated equipment page on the Controller's Office's website.

What are the facility and administration rates (“indirect costs” or “overhead”)?

See the Berkeley Sponsored Projects Office (SPO) Facilities and Administrative (Indirect Cost) Rates page.

What are the current and projected Composite Benefit Rates (CBR)?

How do I send something via FedEx?

Departments must set up a SpeedType in Berkeley Financial System (BFS) for your FedEx charges. The SpeedType allows your shipping charges to be posted automatically to the correct chartstring.